Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Wine Festival, Take 2

Now that we have been in Iwakuni for over a year, our adventures are starting to be bigger and further away from base. Except for the fantastic events that a worth a second take. Like the Wine Festival. (You may remember how much fun I had at last year's event. If not, go here.)


I've been looking forward to this event since Christmas. We are still not wine connoisseurs (or winos, as I wrote last year), but I do enjoy trying brands and years that I will never purchase. But more than that. I love the food. Our club goes all out for some of their larger events and the food never disappoints. I was very much looking forward to their dessert bar, particularly the brownies. I miss Little Debbie brownies and have spent hours trying to describe them to my friends from west of the Mississippi. Yumminess. The club staff does a really good mock-Little Debbie. Gasp, I know. Can it be true? Aca-believe it. (!)



This year we made plans to meet up with some friends and try the wares. Dustin and I tried wines from the United States, Argentina, Australia, Bulgaria, South Africa, Chile, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Portugal, and Spain. Whew!



Most were pretty good. The worst was from Bulgaria and as soon as it hit my glass I immediately thought of nail polish remover. The grog ate that one. One of the bests was a cabernet sauvignon from Chile.

Good company, excellent food, tasty drinks, and perfect weather made this year's Wine Festival even better than the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment